The goal of the Worldwide Intranet Challenge (WIC) is to help intranet managers and owners build business critical intranets - intranets that are indispensable to an organisation. Since the launch of the WIC in April, I have become aware of other key resources available to intranet managers wanting to make their intranets a more valuable asset.
This blog lists some of the resources that will help you build an intranet that adds real value to your organisation's bottom line.
Participation in the fourth edition of the annual Global Intranet Study is an absolute MUST for all intranet managers. The study identifies the latest intranet trends and will help you plan your future intranet developments. There is no cost to participate (just an hour of your time) and in return you will receive the “Global Intranet Trends for 2010” Report at no cost in late October (the 2009 report sells for $875 US/€690.00).
The report will look at intranet trends such as the workplace, collaboration, social media, search, ownership, governance, strategy and measuring intranet value.
To participate in the 2009 survey, e-mail Jane McConnell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, title, number of employees, organization’s name, and the link to your public web site. The survey takes place on line and closes at the end on 31 August 2009.You will receive your personalized link within 24 hours of applying.
For more information, take a look at 2009 Global lntranet Survey goes live!
The Intranet Blog provides a wealth of information to help intranet managers add value to their intranet. There are many case studies and articles available here that will help you obtain executive support for your intranet initiatives.
Some of the more interesting resources include:
- The recent intranet 2.0 global study (download a summary) - find out how 561 organizations are using social media within the corporate intranet - Purchase a complete copy
- Finding ROI (Intranet ROI) White Paper(no cost) - a fantastic resource that provides many real life examples of how organisations have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars through innovative intranet initiatives
- Many other intranet articles covering topics like creating a measurable intranet strategy, how to obtain executive buy-in, and planning your intranet.
The Column Two Blog and the Step Two Design website are updated constantly with new material to support intranet teams and intranet managers. Some of the recent resources that have been made available include:
- Online training: fundamentals of a successful intranet- the first online education on enterprise intranets. The course consists of a total of 5 hours of educational material delivered in the following modules: Importance of the Intranet, Business Value of the Intranet, Delivering a Successful Intranet, Assess and Brainstorm, and Consolidate and Deliver.
- What every team should know- a recently released book providing a ‘quick start’ guide to intranets, providing intranet teams with a to-the-point overview of how to plan, design, manage and grow intranets. The book is written an easy to follow clear style, with many examples taken from real life situations.
- Intranet Innovation Awards - The Intranet Innovation Awards are global awards initiative that celebrate new ideas and innovative approaches to the design and delivery of intranets. The goal is to find these ideas (whether large or small), and to share them with the wider community.