Since the Worldwide Intranet Challenge (WIC) was launched in April this year, we've had over 10,000 intranet end user responses from 30 organisations. Based on an average of 5 minutes to complete the survey, that is over 800 hours of intranet feedback to analyse!
And it really has become a Worldwide challenge with participating organisations based in 12 different countries (Australia, UK, USA, Russia, Estonia, Germany, Canada, Austria, UAE, France, South Africa and Switzerland).
Top 3 intranets for 2009
From the 30 organisations that have participated so far, the top 3 intranets, as decided by the end users, are:
Will someone take over the top mantle from Wyeth MENA next year?
Adecco Group Australia, ArcelorMittal, Arup, Australian Unity, Ball Corporation, Delaware North, Delta Dental of Michigan, Ohio, & Indiana, Eaton Corporation, Ernst & Young, European Space Agency, EVVA-Werk GmbH & Co. KG, Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Lloyds Register, Lonely Planet Publications, March of Dimes, NFPA, Pershing LLC, Philadelphia Fed, St. Luke's Episcopal Health System, Standard Life (English), Standard Life (French Canadian), Statistics Estonia, The Unlimited World, Tube Lines, WOLF THEISS, Wyeth, Wyeth MENA, ООО Управляющая компания "БЛ ГРУПП", РосБизнесКонсалтинг
Other 2009 Highlights
Other highlights of the year include:
- Translation of the WIC survey into 8 languages (English, Spanish, French, French Canadian, German, Russian, Danish, Estonian)
- Partners available in Zurich (Switzerland), Moscow (Russia), New York (USA) and Lima (Peru) to help and support local organisations participate in the WIC
- Presentations of the WIC findings in Melbourne (Australia), Zurich (Switzerland) and Moscow (Russia)
- Launch of the WIC Members site providing WIC participants with access to a benchmark of WIC responses
- A LinkedIn group created to discuss WIC findings
- A WIC Facebook group created to publish WIC case studies and articles
- A Twitter account for people to follow WIC progress
WIC Blog highlights
Many of the findings from the Worldwide Intranet Challenge have been posted on this blog site, along with other relevant intranet articles. Some of the more popular posts include:
- 8 good business reasons for having an intranet (tips for writing an intranet business case) - explains how an intranet can add real value to an organisation by improving processes, continuous improvement, change management, knowledge management, collaboration, access to data and applications, and the environment
- Building a task based intranet using SharePoint (AGL case study)- guidelines about how Australia's leading energy company developed a task based intranet
- What makes an intranet valuable (Part 1)- how end users currently perceive intranets and what they think makes them valuable
- What makes an intranet valuable (Part 2)- lists responses to questions about finding information, intranet look & feel, intranet maintenance and performance of the intranet
- What makes an intranet valuable (Part 3)- shows correlations between the survey questions and intranet value.
2009 has seen the launch of the WIC and the collection of some valuable intranet feedback. In 2010 we plan to continue collecting this data but also to begin spreading the word about why some intranets are rated more highly by their end users than others. We believe this will provide valuable insights for all intanet owners about how they can make their intranets business critical to their organisations.
The major activities planned for 2010 include:
- Presention of WIC findings
Stephan Schillerwein (WIC partner in Europe) and myself will be presenting at the IntraTeam event 2010 from March 2-4, at Copenhagen, Denmark. The conference covers intranets and Enterprise 2.0. The topic we will be presenting is Building the Best Practice Intranet which looks at what end users think are the most important requirements of an effective intranet and what organisations are doing to address these requirements. The findings are based on WIC feedback.
- Building the intranet best practice database
This database will be available to WIC Members and will contain case studies from organisations who have ranked highly in each of the WIC questions. The case studies will explain the process the organisation went through to receive a positive response from the end users
- Additional WIC partners
We will be including additional partners to assist local organisations participate in the WIC for countries such as Brazil, Italy, France, Spain, Malaysia, Greece, Denmark, Japan & Turkey.
People who blog regularly know the important role other bloggers play in spreading the word. The following blogs are a valuable resource for anyone interested in intranets:
If you are looking for a last minute gift for that intranet obsessed colleague during the holiday season, I'd recommend the following:
Intranet Trends Report 2010 - The Global Intranet Strategies Survey is an annual worldwide survey about intranet strategies and practices. Read how the workplace has become more virtual, more global, more decentralized and more collaborative.
Intranet Innovation Awards - The Intranet Innovation Awards celebrate new ideas and innovative approaches to the enhancement and delivery of intranets. The awards are about improving all intranets, by sharing great ideas and increasing the pace of innovation across the whole of the intranet community.
Intranet 2.0 Global Survey Report - 561 organizations of all sizes from across the planet participated in the Intranet 2.0 Global Survey and the results reveal rapid adoption of social media on the corporate intranet in the past year or two.
Participate in the Worldwide Intranet Challenge
If you would like to participate in the Worldwide Intranet Challenge, you will need to register on the CIBA Solutions web site.