Have you ever looked at your organization's intranet home page, and thought 'I can do better than this'? Would you like to be recognized world-wide as an intranet design genius? Would you like to get your hands on a Kindle Fire (valued at $199)?
Well now is your big chance! The Worldwide Intranet Challenge (WIC) thinks intranet home pages are due for a radical overhaul and is sponsoring a competition, open to anyone, to design a USEFUL intranet home page.
You can design the home page for your own organization if you wish. Or you can design the page for a fictitious organization (for example, Smart & Savvy Solutions - see below for more details about S&SS).
Designing the home page
You can design your home page using any tool you like - Visio, Powerpoint, Paint.net, Photoshop, webs.com... or you could use a more purpose built tool such as Balsamiq, IntranetWireFrames, and Intranetfactory (all of these products offer a free trial). You could even hand draw it on paper and then scan it... it's up to you to decide which tool suits you best. The only requirement is that final entries are submitted as an image file (eg. .PNG .JPG .GIF).
Your design can be as detailed, good looking, boring or as interesting as you like. You might take 30 minutes to whip up a design or it could take you a few hours. It's up to you how much time and effort you put in.The criteria that people will be asked to use for voting is simply:
Which intranet home page do you think would be the most useful to its employees?
The competition is open now. Entries can be submitted by email to:
- Subject: Intranet Home Page Design competition
- Using 100 words or less, explain your design, its features and how it works
To get you going, you may find the following resources useful:
- 9 intranet content types that add value to your organisation
- The most useful intranet types
- Should there be news on the frontpage of the intranet
- Discussing the length of the intranet homepage
- Seven roles of the intranet homepage
- 37 intranet home page screen shots
Important note: This is NOT a competition for people to submit screen shots of existing intranets. Jakob Nielson's top 10 intranet award and the IBF's My Beautiful Intranet competition are two opportunities for doing this.
Smart & Savvy Solutions - company background
S&SS has around 800 employees worldwide and provides consulting services to other organizations, helping them streamline, organize and improve internal business processes. Around 600 employees work away from the office on client sites or from home. The company has small office teams of 10-20 people in a dozen of the world's major cities.
The company's main documents include project plans, proposals, design and solution documents, case studies, contracts, research papers and the other usual documents you would expect to find in a consulting organization. Most revenue comes from project based work.
Summary of conditions
- Anyone can enter the competition. You can submit more than one entry if you wish.
- You can use any tool or software you like to design your page. Entries need to be submitted as an image file (eg .PNG .JPG .GIF)
- The winner will be decided by a public vote and will receive a Kindle Fire (due for release November 15)
- The winner will also be interviewed and a blog article written explaining the inspiration behind the winning design. The article will be emailed in an announcement to the 11,000+ WIC LinkedIn Group members.
- The criteria people will use for voting will be:"'Which intranet home page do you think would be the most useful to its employees?"
- Entries close on Monday December 5, 2011
- An intranet panel will review all intranet entries and select a final list of 20 to be published and eligible to receive votes
- The WIC reserves the right to remove an entry deemed to have obtained votes unfairly
- All finalists names will be published
- All entries will be published at the same time on December 7 and voting will be open for 3 weeks.
- The winner will be announced on December 31st, 2012.